Tervetuloa!

My name is Sam Yancho, and this is my blog about my school year abroad in Finland in the 2011-2012 school year. I will try to update the blog as much as possible with new information and stories about what I'm doing as everything unfolds.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The past week or so has been amazing, especially this past weekends, probably some of the most fun I've had in an extremely long time. I had the chance to go around the city and explore. The weather wasn't exactly the best, but it was on and off, it only poured down two or three times. And when it wasn't raining, it was sunny, so that was nice. It wasn't completely the things that I saw, but the two other exchange students I was with made it even better. Then that night I went and met my host cousin and her friends and just hung out. It was a lot of fun and I got to make new friends with people from a nearby town, Hamina, which is about 25 kilometers to the East.
On Sunday, I was able to go to a nearby national park with my host-family, and extended host-family, the nature was amazing. It was like something out of a dream. The air was so pure, and the sights so awe inspiring that I couldn't help but hike in silence, just trying to take everything in.
I think I'm finally getting the hang of public transport, and everyday life in general. I can do simple things, like get myself around town pretty easily, I can also do little things, like order a coffee in a shop, or a sub from subway without having to rely on English (granted my Finnish probably isn't the best).
School is school. Except I like it more. No surprise that English is my favorite class, except for the fact that they teach British English, so I occasionally get something "wrong" because I use American English, it's no big deal though.
I'm still getting used to Finnish social practices. I'm mostly used to it by now, but I was on a bus with over 35 people today, for a complete ten minutes, nobody said one word. Like absolute silence. And I thought it was the coolest thing to see. In the US that would never happen.
I'm still doing things here in order to fully adapt, like get my student's card, and my library card. But eventually I'll have been able to have everything I need  in order to do anything I need.
Obviously the idea of consistently updating this has failed. But, all is not lost, and I'll still post more and more.
Today is my one month mark for being here. I feel like I've changed and experienced so much, it makes me excited to even think about what the next 10 months have in store.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Sam!
    You should write something about your hostfamily ;) and house, your room and like that stuff =)

    ReplyDelete