Tervetuloa!

My name is Sam Yancho, and this is my blog about my school year abroad in Finland in the 2011-2012 school year. I will try to update the blog as much as possible with new information and stories about what I'm doing as everything unfolds.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The first week

Well, I'm here. And it has been the experience of a lifetime just in the first week.
I have done more things, and had such great experiences in the first week than I could have imagined possible. I've had an entire course in Finnish, visited numerous Finnish cities, had multiple authentic Finnish saunas, went to pick buckets of fresh berries until your hands turn blue, and made tons of friends at the language camp.
I'm finally at my host family's home, and it's great. On Tuesday I have my first day of school, and I couldn't be more excited. I feel like a giddy little schoolgirl I'm so excited. I would have to say that by far one of the best things was the trip to Tampere where I had mustamakkara along with other traditional Finnish foods. I was also able to go around the city and just look around and experience everything, like the daily market in the town square. It was amazing to see. This is where I post to let everybody know that I'm alive and well, and that I'm extremely happy at the moment. I'm really tired from this past week, and finally have a real bed, so this is where I sign off and finally get a good night's sleep. I'll post more soon.
Hyvää yötä!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @hannajo
    I chose Finland because I'm actually part Finnish, and I've always known it growing up, but I never knew anything about the country. So, when I was picking countries that I wanted to go to, I did some research and I fell in love with Finnish nature and the Finnish way of life. No niin, in August(after about 6 months of organization), I got on the plane and came to live in Finland for a year. And I've loved every second.

    ReplyDelete